Thursday, December 28, 2006

Last Side Panels and Bulkhead

I added the fourth and last set of side panels:


Now it was time to temporarily add the middle bulkhead. Prior to wiring on the third and fourth sets of side panels, I drew a centerline on the bottom panel. I had then measured the distance from the stern transom to the middle bulkhead along the bottom panel on the plans. I multiplied this distance by a factor of four (the plan scale) and marked that position on the centerline. Using a carpenters square, I drew a line perpendicular to the centerline where the bulkhead should go.

After all of the panels were on, I placed the middle bulkhead in position over the line I had marked earlier. I positioned the top of the bulkhead to match the measurement given in the plans (from the bow transom). I also used a combo square to make sure the bulkhead was perpendicular to the shear line. I used a couple of clamps to hold the bulkhead in position. In order to get the bulkhead to fit, I had to tighten up the wires on the first set of side panels to close the gap between it and the bottom panel. I had to adjust the other panels somewhat and slide the bulkhead from side to side until it was in a decent position. There is still a gap between it and the side panels, but it's pretty small (1/16") and I figure it will get covered up when the bulkhead is glued and filleted in later. I wired the bulkhead in place and removed the clamps.

Now it was time to flip the boat over. My wife helped my with this.


At this point, I got a good look at the gaps between the panels, and the gaps between the panels and transoms. These gaps had returned after I added the third and fourth side panels. I removed the extra sets of stitches I had added the ends of the side and bottom panels since they were starting to tear the wood and they didn't seem to be helping. I was still pretty worried about these, especially the 3/16" gap between the first side panel and the bottom panel at the bow. More on this later.

No comments: